Friday 17 January 2014

Gestational Timekeeping

If you have read back through any of my previous posts, you may have come across the one where I reveal that I have been keeping track of my engagement length in terms of what animals could be born in that timespan. I can't explain why I do that, it's just something which amuses me, and doing so led me to the surprising discovery that Whales and Elephants have much shorter pregnancies than I thought, but Sharks and Giraffes have much longer ones.

also elephants are my favourites and baby elephants are the cutest.



Well, this month we will hit the gestational timespan of a human. That's right - only 9 months to go.



I'm struggling to get my head around this in a way I haven't with looking at other timescales, and the difference is that whilst on paper I have experienced the gestation periods of these other animals in the course of my life, I've never actually lived alongside one of these pregnancies. Whereas I've known pregnant women, so I've got experience of how unexpectedly quickly 9 months can go (as a casual observer of a pregnancy anyway, it might feel longer for the poor woman humping a person around inside her for the better part of a year).



But the thing is, with 9 months to go, now we have to start doing the Important and Tricky things, the difficult bits that we have been putting off because we don't want to have to think about them too deeply because it will be awkward and also kinda boring. So we have to start looking up how to register the marriage, planning the guest list, seating plans (ugh don't even), wording the invitations, working out name changes...


I mean yes, okay, these things should be fun because they're for the ~wedding~ but actually they're really complicated and not shiny and fun.


Fortunately we still have some fun bits left to do - and all the food-related stuff is still to come, which I am very much looking forward to. My priorities are very clear in this.


No comments:

Post a Comment