Friday 11 October 2013

Flower Power

This week I am not talking to Jon about the wedding. Whilst I'm actually pretty good at not obsessing over it or bringing it up loads and loads, or handle bits myself so he doesn't have to, sometimes I have to actually talk to Jon about things. This is exacerbated by the fact that he says he wants to be involved, and then when I try to involve him he gets fidgety and tries to get out of it. Every time I ask him to think about something that he needs to decide on (when he wants to get his ring/when he wants to get his suit/where he wants to stay the night before the wedding) he laughs and tells me that I think way too much about the wedding.



I promise there's a reason I'm telling you this.


On Sunday, I got a text from his best man's fiancee, asking what the plan was for the night before the wedding, so they could think about their plans, and Jon followed my question up by telling me that I couldn't go one week without talking to him about the wedding.

So this week I'm not talking to him about it.

But I am talking to other people about it (although actually to be fair, it's this blog and one email, so not exactly masses), just not in front of him, and it's winding him up. Serves him right.



Tangentially, our latest wedding project has been trying to get the flowers sorted.

This has proved particularly tricky, because I am certain that I would like real flowers, and have an idea of the colours and sort-of look I'm going for, but aside from that, I'm rather clueless.

And it transpires that flowers, as with everything 'wedding', are freaking EXPENSIVE guys.
 


But Jon and I had discussed this, we had planned to do it as cheaply as we could whilst still going the florist route to alleviate stress. The lady who does the flowers for the church was going to do our church decorations, and we were going to do our own table decorations for the reception, since it's a very decorative venue anyway. So all we really needed from the florist were the flowers that people were going to be carrying/wearing, and we specifically requested seasonal flowers.

- 1 Bridal Bouquet
- 4 Bridesmaid Bouquets
- 1 Flowergirl Wand
- 9 Boutineers (in Carnations as well, which are both the cheapest and Jon's favourite)
- 2 Corsages for mothers

WELL.

WELL.

The first florist seemed like she gave us a really great deal, until we worked out that yes, it was indeed just for the flowers that people would be wearing.



After that, I took a day and blitzed around other florists in the area, getting comparative quotes. I was doing well, things were looking promising, until Jon then blindsided me a week later by saying he thought we were going to be getting flowers for the tables AS WELL AS making our own decorations.


This is not a huge deal, but does mean that I have to go back to the places we got the cheapest quotes from and go "Plans have changed, how much will it be for THIS instead?" and then compare prices on an even keel.


Of course, this also means that I need to talk to Jon about what specifically he likes as table decorations so I can get an accurate idea from the florists.


Oh, but I'm not talking to Jon about the wedding this week.


FULL CIRCLE STORY. BOOM.




No comments:

Post a Comment